10+ Mile V1... We can do it :)

General Discussion

• Post(s) 0-13 are missing from the archive :(
    Know where these posts are? Visit the new forum for how to help get them added :)
  • mekon @Zen.Potatoes 5 January 2017, 20:59 UTC

@Zen.Potatoes said in 10+ Mile V1... We can do it :):

pretty much everything I do in life is based on assumptions, guesses and random thoughts... :)

When I die in Glorious battle I will ascend to Valhalla!

• B
    borist 5 January 2017, 21:35 UTC

18650 = 18m diameter x 65mm long
    26650 = 26mm diameter x 65mm long

Are you sure they will fit?

Tight fit is not advisable. Cells grow when hot, squeezing them can cause failure (see Samsung Note 7 problems). 16 fully charged cells going into thermal runaway can burn your house down.

• mekon @borist 5 January 2017, 21:54 UTC

@borist said in 10+ Mile V1... We can do it :):

Tight fit is not advisable. Cells grow when hot, squeezing them can cause failure (see Samsung Note 7 problems). 16 fully charged cells going into thermal runaway can burn your house down.

I think this is less of a concern if using LiFePO4 batteries (as ship with the OneWheel) than in LiPo, or Li-Ion.

• Z
    Zen.Potatoes @borist 5 January 2017, 22:13 UTC

@borist as Mekon said, it shouldn't be an issue with the correct type of HIGH QUALITY batteries, which these will be. Plus they should fit as currently there is about 15mm space between each battery (width wise) and 10+mm at each end.. so it will be a good fit but they shouldn't be squeezed at all and still have a mm of play at each side/top... but if not... then this is a simple redesign of the battery end tray (just a basic copy) but with a few extra mm space where required...

my main concerns is

• will BMS still work and charge correctly with increased mAh cells..

I just want more range damn it :D plus in the UK it takes 40 mins to charge not 20 so waiting around is a pain....

• M
    marcelo @Zen.Potatoes 7 January 2017, 21:27 UTC

@Zen.Potatoes maybe this will help you:
    https://youtu.be/Iw2cKDn6KPs

• Rig @borist 7 January 2017, 21:34 UTC

@borist said in 10+ Mile V1... We can do it :):

18650 = 18m diameter x 65mm long
    26650 = 26mm diameter x 65mm long

Are you sure they will fit?

^ So much this. Fun fact: the zero at the end of the number indicates cell shape, in this case they are 'O' shaped.

• W
    wr420 7 January 2017, 22:05 UTC

Something to think about is whether or not the current battery assembly is a structural part of the OW before trying to design a removable pack.

• Z
    Zen.Potatoes @wr420 10 January 2017, 19:43 UTC

@wr420 The battery pack is very tough and although the top part is metal the whole assembly is def structural, thats why i believe the only 3D printer I believe is up to this task is [https://markforged.com/](link url) as it can print parts re-enforced with carbon and Kevlar.

That's why I really don't want to go down that route if at all possible as it's a huge expensive and time consuming project to say the least.

That's why I'm really hoping to just swap out the 18650 for 22650 batteries and job done...

• E
    enjoi408 17 January 2017, 06:24 UTC

Any update on this?

• E
    enjoi408 8 February 2017, 19:18 UTC

Guess not?

• slydogstroh @enjoi408 8 February 2017, 19:26 UTC

@enjoi408 In order to make a safe and reliable modification to the board, we probably need someone that has experience with electromechanical devices, preferably involving vehicles(or motors) and lithium batteries. Some mechanical design would go into this project as well.
    //
    Again, this is considering that the swap from 18650 to 22650 isn't an option. @Zen-Potatoes

• Earthpilot 9 February 2017, 01:27 UTC

I don't see someone with the knowledge to build a battery pack not being able to pull this off. I have a place near me called Starcraft Electronics. I am going to have to make a trip up there to ask them. I'll bring my board. Let us know if they are 18650s when you get into the pack. Damn, if this works I'm going to have to get new skate shoes with cushy insoles.

Also, very important, a guy that I talked to on an electric bike said that when you are buying batteries, do not buy the cheap Chinese stuff, buy Panasonic 26650s.

• No @Earthpilot 9 February 2017, 05:11 UTC

@Earthpilot said in 10+ Mile V1... We can do it :):

k them. I'll bring my board. Let us know if they are 18650s when you get into the pack. Damn, if this works I'm going to have to get new skate shoes with cushy insoles.

That's a good point about cushy shoes, the foot fatigue would get ridiculous on a long ride

• W
    wr420 9 February 2017, 05:33 UTC

Thats probably how they came up with the origional range in the first place. No one could ride any longer. lol

• slydogstroh 9 February 2017, 16:36 UTC

@wr420 I could. I used to ride all day. A few years ago, before my corporate job and reality set in, I would ride on my college campus all day. Literally 12 hour days spent riding, charging, studying, repeat.
    //
    I'd kill to be able to do that again......

• thegreck @slydogstroh 9 February 2017, 17:01 UTC

@slydogstroh said in 10+ Mile V1... We can do it :):

@wr420 I could. I used to ride all day. A few years ago, before my corporate job and reality set in, I would ride on my college campus all day. Literally 12 hour days spent riding, charging, studying, repeat.

Right, but the point is you get a chance to rest your feet for 20 minutes every six miles. That makes a huge difference! At our LA meetups, we'll be flying down the boardwalk and have to stop every now and then for just a few seconds because our feet will be on fire.

• slydogstroh @thegreck 9 February 2017, 17:08 UTC

@thegreck Challenge accepted. All I need is a truck load of onewheels and someone to drive alongside me. lol

• thegreck @slydogstroh 9 February 2017, 17:09 UTC

@slydogstroh You can probably do it. I need those Starbucks breaks ;)

• slydogstroh @thegreck 9 February 2017, 18:40 UTC

@thegreck you know, thinking about it, if I had a car charger that worked well enough I may only need 2 or 3 boards, a good friend and some gas money to see how far I can go. I bet I can do 150mi (10 hours of riding @ an average of 15mph) in one go. Sounds like a good workout.