Almost destroyed my elbow and my neighbor's car, wtf?

Technical Support Forum

• Post(s) 0-4 are missing from the archive :(
    Know where these posts are? Visit the new forum for how to help get them added :)
  • W
    wr420 28 April 2017, 01:14 UTC

Agree, need a new technique. Come to a stop first, then slide your foot off and let it shutdown and drop.

• T
    timvdp 28 April 2017, 13:22 UTC

yup...you we're being to sly ;)
    first stop
    then slide of sensor, I would advise sliding toward the front end..wait for the cut off
    then dismount

• Eliminator 28 April 2017, 13:45 UTC

I had that issue the first few days also. Seeing it in grass doesn't do it justice. The wheel wouldn't t be spinning in reverse, if he were on cement u would see the traction launch the board forward. Put some nice scuffs on the back of my helmet that first day😃 Definite delay that u need to wait for before dismounting.

• louman73 @thegreck 28 April 2017, 16:01 UTC

@thegreck Yup like I said, my demo was on grass because the wheel will slip, if I move to concrete it shoots off like a projectile.

• louman73 28 April 2017, 16:04 UTC

@groovyruvy Do you have a onewheel v1 and a +? There is a noticable difference, I never had this issue on the v1.

• groovyruvy @louman73 28 April 2017, 16:06 UTC

@louman73 I have both. Agree there are noticeable differences between the 2 boards, and that dismounting on the + may take a tad more getting used to, however even on the original you need to give it a moment to let the motor disengage before letting the tail down.

• louman73 @Eliminator 28 April 2017, 16:09 UTC

@Eliminator 0_1493395726227_IMG_20170427_172002.jpg

Yup I bet its an "enhancement" but to me, this is my reminder!

• S
    shattle @louman73 28 April 2017, 16:53 UTC

This post is deleted!
  • S
    shattle @louman73 28 April 2017, 16:53 UTC

@louman73 Damn dude--wth part of your body is that? It looks like you're growing a horn....

• groovyruvy @louman73 28 April 2017, 17:24 UTC

@louman73 what is that- is that a knee, or an elbow?

• Eliminator @louman73 28 April 2017, 17:37 UTC

@louman73 Ouch!

• W
    wr420 28 April 2017, 17:40 UTC

I think that'a a hairy puffy nipple, lol

• louman73 28 April 2017, 18:24 UTC

Elbow for 800 alex

• B
    braswell 28 April 2017, 20:05 UTC

Dear god! Are you a man or a rhinoceros?!?

• T
    timvdp 28 April 2017, 20:32 UTC

Maybe your title should not be about the car but about your ELBOW...damn....I also still have a bumb on my elbow a year later but not that big...auch!!
    go see a doctor!;)

• drew 28 April 2017, 21:21 UTC

So one thing I noticed in regards to the V1 vs the +. The V1 will disengage under 3mph whereas the plus needs to be under 1mph. It is in the manual if I am not mistaken.

• Wrex 28 April 2017, 22:20 UTC

I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times:

The should develop a leash /quick disconnect so that when you have an "unplanned" dismount, or whatever and the board tries to shoot away, it breaks the circuit to power and the board stops. It's quite simple for them to do.

• Corlux @Wrex 28 April 2017, 23:28 UTC

@Wrex You say it's quite simple, but are you an engineer? Is it a physical leash? A wireless leash? How do you ensure it works every time? How do you ensure it doesn't work when it isn't supposed to. Imagine a wireless leash that is triggered from EM interference. And you're going 20 MPH and you RELY on your one wheel. This is not a boosted board. I always see guys making demands of engineers, like they think they can give them the sky just by waving their hands. Not the case with a leash.

• floaton @louman73 30 April 2017, 13:57 UTC

@louman73

looks like a nice case of olecranon bursitis - ice 10 min at a time and compression wrap (ace wrap)

Here's to some quick healing, sir.

• Wrex @Corlux 30 April 2017, 19:31 UTC

@Corlux said in Almost destroyed my elbow and my neighbor's car, wtf?:

@Wrex You say it's quite simple, but are you an engineer? Is it a physical leash? A wireless leash? How do you ensure it works every time? How do you ensure it doesn't work when it isn't supposed to. Imagine a wireless leash that is triggered from EM interference. And you're going 20 MPH and you RELY on your one wheel. This is not a boosted board. I always see guys making demands of engineers, like they think they can give them the sky just by waving their hands. Not the case with a leash.

Heh. Actually, I am an engineer, but that is neither here, nor there. Lol.

I didn't say wireless. At all.

Think of the safety disconnects on Snowmobiles and watercraft. Same concept. Leash pulls "pin" breaking connection between physical contacts between power source and motor.

Really. It's not Rocket Science and as far as "making demands": shouldn't one demand the safest product reasonably conceivable? I mean, really. How many stories of run-away boards have we seen posted, here? Eventually, a runaway board will end up hurting some bystander... or worse.

It really is a quite simple, cheap and effective solution. Already field-tested and proven on various craft. preceding the OW. It should be easy to adopt and I don't think it's an unreasonable request.

"I always see guys making demands of engineers, like they think they can give them the sky just by waving their hands. Not the case with a leash."

You're correct. I'm not asking for the sky as that is not the case with the leash. I'm asking for a very, simple fix to a very real issue. There's a lot to be said about "real world input" experience from the field. Designers and engineers worth their salt (and I know the OW engineers are), should be able to easily take that data and meet realistic expectations, to provide a better design and product, where appropriate.

• A
    AceCannon 1 May 2017, 02:52 UTC

I am not an experienced one wheel rider. Or an engineer.

I can absolutely see the value of an instant-kill switch, as discussed.

But unlike certain watercraft like PWC's and boats, I could see instant kill of a OW motor being potentially more actively dangerous for the rider, if inadvertently activated.

People with more knowledge than I might chime in.

• A
    ahxe45 1 May 2017, 12:36 UTC

@Corlux it actually would be the most basic part on the whole board if they implemented it. It also wouldn't be very hard to implement they probably just never thought of it. Seems like they haven't thought of a lot of things and they definitely came on the forum and took peoples ideas for the V1 and used them in the +. The whole raised footpad thing... yeah that was on the forum almost from the start and people made homemade versions. So if anything what @Wrex is saying is just a suggestion that could help them out in the long run.

• louman73 4 May 2017, 23:04 UTC

Ok so definitely user error. As @drew said above the mystery is deep in the safety kill duration. V1 had a 3 second and the + has a 1 second duration. On v1 I would come in hot hit the brakes and slide my toes off the front. Apparently on the + I was using the same technique and never really getting below 1 mph before lifting my foot. Ah well some lessons hurt more than others.

• goodblake-eskate @Wrex 5 May 2017, 22:16 UTC

@Wrex I can definitely see the benefits of a leash and how simply it could be implemented. However I think the potential negatives might out weigh the positives. Any accidental activation of this kill switch while riding at speed would have much greater consequences than a runaway board at presumably lesser speed. The chances of someone getting hurt from the board shutting off while riding at speed are almost 100% and basically it is just a matter of how badly. Where as the chances of a runaway board running away and hitting some one or something of value are much smaller.

I know some will argue to make it so there is no possible chance for it activated while riding, but I don't see how this is possible. Using a physical leash seems to be the most full proof as far simplicity of technology and ensuring it only activates when the pin is pulled presumably by one jumping off their board etc. However they would have to make it long enough for one to have it attached and still be able to shift their weight, change stance, etc while riding and not engage. However by having a little slack it provides potential for it get hung on any number of things while riding such as a bush, stick rock, pant leg, a pedestrian, the dog trying to bite you as you ride by, or if you are @slydogstroh you may catch it on someone's bumper as you fly by. Sure you could make it coiled but the potential of it getting hung is still there just less. Then using a digital / electric leash = technology = potential issues. Not sure I need to say more about that.

Sorry for the long post but these are my thoughts

• Wrex @goodblake-eskate 6 May 2017, 00:50 UTC

@goodblake-eskate said in Almost destroyed my elbow and my neighbor's car, wtf?:

@Wrex I can definitely see the benefits of a leash and how simply it could be implemented. However I think the potential negatives might out weigh the positives. Any accidental activation of this kill switch while riding at speed would have much greater consequences than a runaway board at presumably lesser speed. The chances of someone getting hurt from the board shutting off while riding at speed are almost 100% and basically it is just a matter of how badly. Where as the chances of a runaway board running away and hitting some one or something of value are much smaller.

I know some will argue to make it so there is no possible chance for it activated while riding, but I don't see how this is possible. Using a physical leash seems to be the most full proof as far simplicity of technology and ensuring it only activates when the pin is pulled presumably by one jumping off their board etc. However they would have to make it long enough for one to have it attached and still be able to shift their weight, change stance, etc while riding and not engage. However by having a little slack it provides potential for it get hung on any number of things while riding such as a bush, stick rock, pant leg, a pedestrian, the dog trying to bite you as you ride by, or if you are @slydogstroh you may catch it on someone's bumper as you fly by. Sure you could make it coiled but the potential of it getting hung is still there just less. Then using a digital / electric leash = technology = potential issues. Not sure I need to say more about that.

Sorry for the long post but these are my thoughts

Don't be sorry. They're good thoughts and valid and I think it's good to talk it over. I was thinking about the potential for issues with a coiled leash or any that has enough length to to get caught on stuff, as well.

Maybe forget the power disconnect part of the idea and just have a leash that is retractable, like those badge leashes a lot of us have for our work (Not sure what else to call those). Something like that, but stronger filament. No power disconnect. Just a leash so that if the board does get away, the worst that might happen is you ruin a belt loop or get a firm jerk on your wrist (should you cuff it there or something). The board would likely shut off by the time you recover it anyway, but would be enough to keep it from darting out into traffic, causing a car wreck or hitting a pedestrian near by and hurting them.

i just think there has got to be some solution that can be beneficial.