PROPOSED SHAPING - One-Direction Mode - Why? Efficiency, Safety!

Product Wishlist

• Post(s) 0-12 are missing from the archive :(
    Know where these posts are? Visit the new forum for how to help get them added :)
  • thegreck @ryancwynar 19 September 2017, 20:18 UTC

@ryancwynar The current motor already has enough torque to change directions much faster than it does, but changing directions on a self-balancing device always has to be on a curve, or it'll throw the rider off.

• R
    ryancwynar @thegreck 21 September 2017, 22:16 UTC

@thegreck Huh, that's interesting. Yeah, I could definitely see that. All my gut feel for the relationship between power and weight comes from playing with high powered electric bicycles, but that's a much heavier object with a bigger wheel that's harder to turn, so it takes more power to get that acceleration feeling.

• S
    sfCTAC 23 September 2017, 21:12 UTC

+1 for releasing an SDK to allow community to develop custom modes

• Hamasvjnga 27 September 2017, 01:21 UTC

Not really a big One-Direction fan. I mean they're very talented. I just don't like their music...but I'd go all bonkers for a K-Pop mode.

• C
    cba20k 27 September 2017, 17:40 UTC

I love the ideas put forth, ryancwynar. I imagine not releasing the SDK is probably a liability thing and the last thing OneWheel wants is for someone to release shaping that winds up hurting a rider or worse. Having said that, I agree that the dismount can be tough but for me the way the board's designed requires a specific type of sneaker:

Still I'm bumping and keeping the thread alive because I think it would be awesome for one wheel to consider offering shaping like this.

PS - You're right, I never go backward either.

• C
    coyoteran 31 October 2017, 17:13 UTC

I would be all over this mode. Me going backwards is a precursor to me falling. Yeah, yeah, I know, practice switch. That's tricky what with coming back to board sports after a 39 year hiatus. And I couldn't ride switch in 1978 either.

• P
    poppavein 31 October 2017, 19:54 UTC

One day in the future it will be like this:
    “Onewheel, stop board. “

Then the board will slow down to 0 MPH and the rear will tilt down.

It’s safe and simple.

• Khayman @sonny123 21 June 2018, 00:46 UTC

@sonny123 said in PROPOSED SHAPING - One-Direction Mode - Why? Efficiency, Safety!:

The dismount feature on the original OW was perfect.

What is the difference? I only have the plus.

• Khayman @poppavein 21 June 2018, 00:53 UTC

@poppavein said in PROPOSED SHAPING - One-Direction Mode - Why? Efficiency, Safety!:

Onewheel, stop board

And very slow.

• G
    Gwinntanamo 21 June 2018, 02:07 UTC

Uh, I don't think you guys really understand the fundamental physics behind how the onewheel works...

Imagine it like a unicycle (which is very similar to how the OW works). If you did not let the wheel roll backwards, you would not be able to balance at a stand still. What you are describing would mean every time you roll to a stop, the tail would eventually just drop to the ground.

• A
    andyro @Gwinntanamo 17 October 2018, 01:53 UTC

@Gwinntanamo true. But there oughtta be a subtle way to tell OW, « I’m at a red light, disengage » without the heel raise... I don’t have the answer but its a good question...

• tomfoolery @andyro 17 October 2018, 07:47 UTC

@andyro wouldn’t it be good practice to balance on your onewheel at a red light? I see myself wanting to disengage the thing when I was done riding.

• R
    ryancwynar 13 August 2020, 21:10 UTC

I think I was the first person to propose what later became the SimpleStop feature way back in 2017. I win at prescience. #cashmeoutside #howboutdat #listentomenexttime #floatstradamus

• LidPhones @ryancwynar 14 August 2020, 14:08 UTC

@ryancwynar said in PROPOSED SHAPING - One-Direction Mode - Why? Efficiency, Safety!:

I think I was the first person to propose what later became the SimpleStop feature way back in 2017. I win at prescience. #cashmeoutside #howboutdat #listentomenexttime #floatstradamus

You should get a % of all Pint sales maybe? ;-) Very cool that you might have helped shape Simple Stop.