Introduction and PVC Fender

General Discussion

• Post(s) 0-2 are missing from the archive :(
    Know where these posts are? Visit the new forum for how to help get them added :)
  • R
    RUFR 28 July 2019, 04:23 UTC

Looks like shit! Lol..but taking the time to do this weird never heard before thing, blew me away there for a minute..

• K
    Kielanders @Sponge315 28 July 2019, 14:32 UTC

@Sponge315

I've never tried it with PVC, but with acrylic sheet, you can heat it in the oven at around 200 degrees, then bend it on a form.

You might want to investigate bending it after doing the initial unrolling with a heat gun from pipe-form to sheet-form, then heating in an oven, then re-bending over your form.

Not sure concerning the risk of fumes off-gassing from PVC, so do a little research, and use good ventilation (when the wife's not around).

I am totally down with anyone thinking outside the box, pioneering new techniques to make new things, more efficiently, more cost effectively.

No matter how sophisticated the science, it all starts with 'some guy' getting his hands dirty in a kitchen/basement/workshed/laboratory, with trial and error - it really is how progress gets made . . . like making sausage, or a OneWheel.

Take your time and do your research.

Awesome job, keep it up dude!

• Sponge315 28 July 2019, 14:39 UTC

Tried that exactly once. The wife "FIRMLY" informed me that there would be no more heating of PVC inside the house.
    It does out gas some rather unpleasant chemicals. Best to keep this an outside activity.

• K
    Kielanders @Sponge315 28 July 2019, 14:41 UTC

@Sponge315

I agree, keep the wife outside . . . preferably, out of town.

This is safest done late at night with a 12 pack of beer, the windows open, and the dog as your lab assistant.

• Sponge315 28 July 2019, 14:47 UTC

This was met with about the same enthusiasm as I got when I put a cylinder head in the dishwasher. (and it wasn't even a big one, little motorcycle head)

• K
    Kielanders @Sponge315 28 July 2019, 14:52 UTC

@Sponge315

Dude, it still amazes me how butt-hurt they get over the littlest s##t - I mean, it's not like you loaded the soap dispenser with Gunk or something . . . am I right?

It's all totally chill, with endless love and nookie, right up until the time you sign on the dotted line.

• Sponge315 31 July 2019, 14:46 UTC

Pulled the ugly fender off the board last night and did a little more trimming and molding. I took about 1/4" off both sides trimming up the width and then rounded over the edges.
    ow1.1.jpg
    So now I have version 1.1
    While not any better looking than before, it is a bit more functional. The issue that I was running into with the ver 1.0 was that as I carried it around the 1/4" edges that were hanging off the side rail and the square edges of the rest of the fender would often rub or catch my leg. Not painful of anything, just annoying.

• TyDie @Sponge315 31 July 2019, 16:41 UTC

@Sponge315 please for the love of god, paint that thing... shape is looking good though

• K
    Kielanders @Sponge315 31 July 2019, 17:33 UTC

@Sponge315

Dude, that schedule 40 is strong enough to support a keg - I think you may be on to something here.

• b0ardski @TyDie 31 July 2019, 22:00 UTC

@TyDie said in Introduction and PVC Fender:

@Sponge315 please for the love of god, paint that thing... shape is looking good though

... at least a few stickers would help.

• Sponge315 1 August 2019, 05:27 UTC

It isn't quite right just yet. So there is still a little heat gun in its future.
    So the stickers will have to wait just a while longer.
    I do have a few already waiting.

• K
    Kielanders @Sponge315 1 August 2019, 08:13 UTC

@Sponge315

Quit yer whining, and get a pony keg mounted on that puppy!

:o)

• S
    Scottrod 7 August 2019, 02:42 UTC

Pretty good idea. I thought about making my own fender out of plastic sheeting or an old trash can but decided against it as I didn’t want to spend the time and effort. Easier to just buy a pre-made fender off Amazon.