Flying and TSA?

General Discussion

• K
    Kayakero 20 September 2016, 22:16 UTC

So I've read everything I can find on the subject. Who's flown with their OW. What questions have you encountered? I have been traveling and all these city's a begging me to ride! A little scared I get it to destination and then they won't let me take it back home!

• CABALLERO 20 September 2016, 22:37 UTC

I have been talking with with Future Motion on this matter. They are working on putting together some form of documentation from the manufacturer to aid in dealing with the TSA and air travel.

I will post back as soon as I receive any correspondence from FM.

• Jimmers75 20 September 2016, 22:43 UTC

Until Future Motion either work out the documentation that allows owners to fly or come out with a redesign that allows the batteries to be carried separately (if that is one of the reasons why you can't fly with a Onewheel) I propose skate shops or recreational shops in cities around the world should stock rental boards that can be hired out.

• westcoastr 21 September 2016, 04:30 UTC

I'm still shaken by seeing Casey Neistat get his boosted board confiscated... Hopefully FM will be able to make some headway on this. I'm flying tomorrow and managed to get a lift for my OW by car. Looking forward to some good riding in the Rockies!!

• Polle 21 September 2016, 08:25 UTC

Future motion did send me some manufacturer info about the batteries. I forwarded this to my airline 2 weeks ago, but after a friendly reminder 2 days ago they still didn't reply...
    But anyway, don't think this documentation will help, as the specifications on the battery are in the no-fly list...

• hustle 21 September 2016, 12:09 UTC

Yeah I gave up. I shipped mine via UPS for $86 :'( (one way, will have to pay that again to get it home with me.)

• K
    kelp @CABALLERO 21 September 2016, 15:01 UTC

@CABALLERO first i have heard of this. wonderful news! hope they are close to wrapping this up!

• K
    kelp @westcoastr 21 September 2016, 15:06 UTC

@westcoastr said in Flying and TSA?:

I'm still shaken by seeing Casey Neistat get his boosted board confiscated... Hopefully FM will be able to make some headway on this. I'm flying tomorrow and managed to get a lift for my OW by car. Looking forward to some good riding in the Rockies!!

if this sparked anyone else's curiousity: https://www.reddit.com/r/boostedboards/comments/53cau0/casey_neistat_gets_his_boosted_board_confiscated/

• thegreck @kelp 21 September 2016, 15:34 UTC

@kelp A lot of good conversation going on in that thread. I hope that the person who said now that someone as high-profile as Casey has had their $1,500 board confiscated because of these stupid inconstant airline rules, then maybe it'll finally enact a change that will allow people to bring non-dangerous electric personal transport devices with them when they fly.

• J
    juts 21 September 2016, 16:36 UTC

I'd be more worried about them allowing a laptop on board than a electric skateboard. Get a laptop that can connect to 4g network and if you're a professional hacker you can pretty much take the airplane hostage.

• westcoastr @juts 21 September 2016, 17:38 UTC

@juts Absolutely! It's funny how certain things preoccupy the powers that be.... (Btw, I'm on the ground in Calgary!)

• J
    jlinn 21 September 2016, 20:52 UTC

I'm definitely not saying that you can, but I flew three each padded with towels in separate roller duffels round trip from MN to FL about a month ago, happened to be on Delta although I was more worried about TSA than the airline itself.

No permission was asked or granted, and we received no comments or questions at the airport. My experience only, of course you'll have to decide for yourself...

• hustle @jlinn 21 September 2016, 21:02 UTC

@jlinn So jelly. I'm just terrified to risk it.

• thegreck @hustle 21 September 2016, 21:12 UTC

@hustle If they tried to confiscate my Onewheel, I definitely wouldn't just let them take it and then get on the plane like Casey did! I'd say, well I guess I'm not flying just yet, and take my OW to the nearest FedEx to ship it home!

But I guess Casey knows Boosted will just send him a new board, anyway.

• R
    Roy @thegreck 21 September 2016, 22:22 UTC

@thegreck, I suppose that's the difference between a BB and OW guy (or girl). We will leave no OW behind...

Casy's vlogs can be a little dramatic but they're still very entertaining.

• W
    wr420 21 September 2016, 22:23 UTC

Plus he gets most of his gear for free so no real sweat off his back..

• J
    juts @westcoastr 22 September 2016, 02:18 UTC

@westcoastr just 3 hours South of me and a few more riders. A few live down in Calgary too

• westcoastr @juts 22 September 2016, 04:53 UTC

@juts Made it to Banff, where I met up with my OW and had a good ride with my friend. Looking forward to more tomorrow. It was so good to have another OneWheeler with me! Too bad you're not closer.

• J
    juts @westcoastr 23 September 2016, 21:31 UTC

@westcoastr yea the closest I'll be is red deer on monday

• M
    marcelo 5 October 2016, 23:05 UTC

I bought my OW in LA in June and got back to my country without any issues.. I knew TSA would confiscate my board so I had to disassemble it and separate it in three different bags. The wheel and tire in one bag, rails and controller in other bag, battery pack in hand luggage. I took care to wrap the battery in a sealed plastic bag as requested by the airliner. I covered the OW logo with duck tape and flattened the tire (no pressured devices allowed in bags). Back at home, I opened the bag with the wheel, there was a TSA inspection note inside, they checked my bag but did not confiscate anything.
    It's really a pain in the ass to disassemble the board, I'll never do it again.
    I'm hoping for a solution from FM .. OWing is a must when visiting other countries.. we really need green passes in airplanes

• Post(s) 20-22 are missing from the archive :(
    Know where these posts are? Visit the new forum for how to help get them added :)