PSA: Wear your helmet, lol

General Discussion

• Franko 8 June 2021, 13:53 UTC

Dutch commercial reminding you that no matter how awesome you look, you should wear a helmet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m-c4GixUpg&ab_channel=%26Co.

• LidPhones @Franko 8 June 2021, 14:43 UTC

@Franko
    Appreciate the share. Good commercial, actually watched the whole thing. And yes my brain bucket has saved me multiple rides.....

• Franko @LidPhones 8 June 2021, 15:06 UTC

@LidPhones when i learned to snowboard ages ago, i learned that i needed to decide between "looking cool" vs "not bashing my head open," haha. until then, i always thought that "seeing stars" was just for cartoons -- but no, you actually do! besides, nowadays, there are so many helmets that protect you AND look cool. win-win!

• Lia @Franko 8 June 2021, 19:56 UTC

@Franko Saw someone post that over on Reddit, dude bonking his head at the end was very familiar.

I don't tend to push people on the helmet issue. I myself only having recently started wearing one can attest to a few of the reasons some hold off on wearing one. For me it was a huge distraction, not sure why but having something on my head just stopped me being able to focus on anything other than it being there. It's since gotten better but those first few rides were rough.

Regardless I do agree everyone should put something on their dome. For those that secretly just hate the look I think they just haven't found one they like. The cat ears on mine was the push I needed to see if I could get past being unable to concentrate.

• NotSure @Lia 8 June 2021, 20:27 UTC

@Lia said in PSA: Wear your helmet, lol:

Regardless I do agree everyone should put something on their dome. For those that secretly just hate the look I think they just haven't found one they like.

I have these for when I'm feeling risky. The hat material is very thick on it's own. Looks awesome in sun too.

cc98d682-fc07-42c6-8fb7-521b30d80150-image.png
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LG1G2GQ/

c3c1d349-5b46-4377-8944-e3e39809949e-image.png
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079KDWN62/

• Lia @NotSure 8 June 2021, 20:53 UTC

@NotSure That looks fresh, does it change colour depending on the angle viewed?

• NotSure @Lia 8 June 2021, 21:28 UTC

@NotSure That looks fresh, does it change colour depending on the angle viewed?

very much so

0fef17eb-0e85-4fc3-9c6d-8ae9061030e1-giphy.gif

• Franko @NotSure 8 June 2021, 22:18 UTC

@NotSure ooh, that's pretty slick! i think i'll still wear my Thousand helmet though. i like the style.

• NotSure @Franko 9 June 2021, 00:20 UTC

@Franko said in PSA: Wear your helmet, lol:

@NotSure ooh, that's pretty slick! i think i'll still wear my Thousand helmet though. i like the style.

Yeah it's pretty much just for very casual local riding only.

• HorsePlay @Lia 9 June 2021, 04:44 UTC

@Franko, thanks for sharing the PSA. Cute video ... just what I needed to end my day today! (Someday I will ride a Friesian. Someday.)

For those that secretly just hate the look I think they just haven't found one they like.

I agree! I hated riding my OW wearing my old bike helmet. I wore it ... but hated it. The straps bugged my jawline and the helmet sometimes slid backwards a bit too far.

BUT! I love my Triple 8 purchased from the OW website. I cannot believe the difference. The Triple 8 fits me so well that I simply forget it is there. It simply works.

So, yes, it is a matter of finding one that you like !

• blkwalnutgrwr 9 June 2021, 13:15 UTC

For swarms of summer insects I fitted a face shield to my skate helmet. IMG_3028.jpeg

Although I pass the everyday casual cyclists, the sign is for the few racing cyclists that pass me on my Onewheel, that they need to be loud and clear if they expect me to hear them.

• Franko @blkwalnutgrwr 9 June 2021, 16:47 UTC

@blkwalnutgrwr i have a small bike bell that i wear on my finger that i can chime with a flick of my thumb. it can be gentle when i want it to be, but it can be super LOUD when i really let go. i'm not the most vocal rider, so i've found that i startle people in front of me less when they hear a friendly bike bell instead of me suddenly saying "On your left!" or whatever.

it's this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071VRYDZ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Lia @Franko 9 June 2021, 18:33 UTC

@Franko said in PSA: Wear your helmet, lol:

i have a small bike bell that i wear on my finger that i can chime with a flick of my thumb

No way I have almost the same setup!
    IMG_7267.JPG
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07M855LF4

• Franko @Lia 9 June 2021, 19:33 UTC

@Lia yep -- pretty much just like that. wrist guard half-finger gloves and everything. it works great!

• B
    biell @Lia 9 June 2021, 21:16 UTC

@Lia My setup is really close to yours. This picture has me in a Flatland 3D glove, but I mostly use my Wrister gloves now. I am partial to full finger gloves as I type for a living.

Qbell as a ring

• Lia @biell 9 June 2021, 21:49 UTC

@biell Didn't realise this was a common thing, feels good to know others had the same idea!

• B
    biell @Lia 10 June 2021, 01:54 UTC

@Lia I have posted about this solution before. It is important for us to follow the same conventions expected of bicycles, if we are to be accepted on the trails. I get a lot of "Thank you" statements from fellow trail users when I use my bell to alert them before I start to pass. After the bell, I usually verbally let them know which side I am passing on.

• E
    Enterusername 26 June 2021, 19:27 UTC

was.
    I found some pretty cooool looking bump hats with fans on Amazon??? I might one try one of those plastic bowl thingies in some of my hats.
    Thanks to everyone for this thread. I'm glad I saw it. I really love seeing posts like this. It kind of renews my faith in our humanity for each other with some humorous lightness.
    Keep on Charging Y'all!

Maybe even a climate controlled Mandalorian helmet with night vision and all. LOL

• HorsePlay @Enterusername 26 June 2021, 20:19 UTC

@Enterusername said in PSA: Wear your helmet, lol:

Maybe even a climate controlled Mandalorian helmet with night vision and all. LOL

When you find this ... please let us know! My husband needs this.

• blkwalnutgrwr 1 July 2021, 17:05 UTC

Ruth Anne wanted me to post this photo of my clothes, towel, and all my drenched safety gear drying on the clothesline -- after I got caught in, and Onewheeled for some miles in a thunderstorm. Ruth Anne laughs that with all my gear I am like a kid getting all dressed and bundled to go play in the snow. Not hanging on the clothesline were my skate helmet and soaked footwear. And this was even using an umbrella! For the Onewheel itself, it was like riding downstream through one long continuous splashing puddle.
    IMG_9330.jpg

• Post(s) 20-21 are missing from the archive :(
    Know where these posts are? Visit the new forum for how to help get them added :)