ebb2d4a3-c31c-4607-99a5-8b526d222ff2-image.png

Onewheel GT

https://onewheel.com/products/onewheel-gt
    Untitled-1.jpg
    e3c06c6e-89a7-4ea1-87c5-4c0ac53179af-image.png

• OneDan+ 27 October 2021, 18:10 UTC

Ordered a fully loaded GT, no hesitation! :D

• NotSure 27 October 2021, 18:27 UTC

to be honest. im kind pissed. i purchased two onewheels. both under warranty. totally obsolete. gfy!

• NotSure 27 October 2021, 18:28 UTC

literally no joy from this @Future-Motion !

• OneDan+ @NotSure 27 October 2021, 18:31 UTC

@NotSure said in Onewheel New Models!:

totally obsolete

No way, I've got almost 6000 miles on my XR and still love riding it! It's the best toy I've ever owned and with all the updates, the GT can only be better. Of course, there are tradeoffs and everyone is open to their own opinions, LOL.

• NotSure @OneDan+ 27 October 2021, 18:34 UTC

@OneDan at least u got to amortize ur purchase.

• OneDan+ @NotSure 27 October 2021, 18:36 UTC

@NotSure LOL, true! Though I understand where you're coming from as I got my Plus just months before the XR came out.

• NotSure 27 October 2021, 18:36 UTC

anyone reading this now, THERE IS LITERALLY NO REASON TO BUY A PINT NOW! DON'T DO IT! iT'S THE DESKTOP OF ONEWHEELS. I WANT A REFUND...

• Swinefeaster 27 October 2021, 18:49 UTC

i'm curious about the upgrades of the gt they didn't talk about much like lights and maybe waterproofing ? other than that, new range is meh.... no suspension. i wonder if they fixed the rail inserts.

• OneDan+ @Swinefeaster 27 October 2021, 18:51 UTC

@Swinefeaster Lights are 300% brighter, they had to add a dim option in the app they are so bright. Range is EVERYTHING to me, along with power. The weight is a lot more tho, so the walk of shame will be that much more shameful, LOL.

• Swinefeaster 27 October 2021, 18:53 UTC

i was getting 9 mi on my xr due to aggressive so doubt that this will help much. i'm about to try out my jw battery upgrade so wonder how that stacks up.
    https://archive.owforum.co.uk/topic/9520/jwxr-jw-pint-ffm-chip-mod/41

• OneDan+ @Swinefeaster 27 October 2021, 19:11 UTC

@Swinefeaster said in Onewheel New Models!:

i'm about to try out my jw battery upgrade

I'll do that to my XR once the batteries go out . . . pending your review, of course!

• NotSure @OneDan+ 27 October 2021, 19:15 UTC

@Future-Motion I so wish i could be excited about this. The only concern I ever had when I decided to purchase a onewheel, was forced obsolescence: BINGO! Two eBay onewheels, I bought for retail. im not cheerleading anymore.

• NotSure @NotSure 27 October 2021, 19:30 UTC

@Future-Motion $3100+ retail on Onewheel.com last december. that's what $1500 looks like today. Also, what 50% depreciation in less than a year looks like. That's an awful investment. Do something about it.
    51864357-e05b-4e61-ad22-ce587f9415c1-image.png

• Lia @NotSure 27 October 2021, 19:36 UTC

@NotSure Second hand boards fetch quite a bit still. I've seen dudes selling on eBay with next to no depreciation (and they still sell somehow). Considering a lot of people aren't in the loop it's likely you'd get some takers for a good price still.

Not sure if FM's support will be flooded but it might be worth reaching out and politely asking due to only just purchasing a new XR if they could give you a special coupon assuming you intent to get one of the new boards.

Worth a shot, I know if I worked for FM I'd be willing to give coupons to existing customers especially those that just bought a board recently.

• NotSure @Lia 27 October 2021, 19:38 UTC

@Lia they messed with their portals. tried to use a prior support email that wasn't no-reply... we'll see. im fucking jaded, rich, and live in an influential neighborhood. frankly, they better listen if they have any sense at all. n i don't mean that in a egotistical sense. it's more about how they market. i'm surely their target demo.

• Franko 27 October 2021, 19:39 UTC

i'm still happy with my stock OG Pint, but damn that GT is a sexy beast. i read that it weighs 35lbs, though, yikes! and no matter if you get the PintX or the GT, say goodbye to bringing either one on trips via plane -- both have batteries too big to pass security.

• Lia @Swinefeaster 27 October 2021, 19:40 UTC

@Swinefeaster You might get more of a bump than you think. Assuming it's not all marketing faff the overall power of the cells is much better so you're not losing as much efficiency at the top end of the cells under high speed and torque... essentially it looks like they've brought the peak cell efficiency curve in line with where most riders ride at.

• NotSure @Franko 27 October 2021, 19:40 UTC

@Franko the one redeeming factor of the pint perhaps. reason for hope. maybe the floor won't drop out by december.

• Lia @NotSure 27 October 2021, 19:44 UTC

@NotSure Best of luck, If it's any consolation I imagine these boards are going to be locked down so tight there won't be much room for improvement allowing the 3rd party market to stomp these as time comes.

• NotSure @Lia 27 October 2021, 19:45 UTC

@Lia i appreaciate you feedback thank you. i'm just not very happy right now. they didn't stagger the release, so both markets are affected. it's gonna be more turbulent than they expect.

• HorsePlay 27 October 2021, 19:48 UTC

Charger plug is $85?? (I'm playing with the customize tool ... adding a charger plug for the GT increases the price shown by $85. Something has gotta be wrong here?)

• Lia @HorsePlay 27 October 2021, 19:51 UTC

@HorsePlay Oh it's not just me then, I thought I was going mad!
    Maybe some of the pricing options are bust as the board customiser is acting up for me too.

Currently pondering if I can stomach a new board plus the $200 shipping and £450 customs charge lol

• HorsePlay 27 October 2021, 21:18 UTC

Did the Pint (original) see a price increase? Wasn't it famously $950 before? The site is now showing "starting at $1050." Perhaps, just maybe, this adjustment is intended to help those hoping to sell their existing Pints on the resale market?

It seems to borrow a page from Disney Vacation Club ... where retail prices keep climbing, no matter what the market conditions, and resale curiously follows along.

@NotSure , Sorry to read of your frustration. I hope it works out for you far better than your present expectations.

• Swinefeaster @Lia 27 October 2021, 21:21 UTC

@Lia said in Onewheel New Models!:

You might get more of a bump than you think

jw battery is also supposed to give you a power boost. i'd love to see that marketing curve with the jw battery curve added.

i'm waiting for it to charge to 100% for the first time, then i gotta put it all together and go for a ride. charging with the original xr slow charger so it's taking forever

• NotSure @HorsePlay 27 October 2021, 22:37 UTC

@HorsePlay we'll see i suppose. if @Future-Motion responds to my gripe i'd consider it a positive sign. But there are plenty more questions. what about servicing? Do newly serviced pints get new batteries? Do they get the option? They should have staggered their products so the market can react. they just took a giant dump on the onewheel resale market. I bought an XR because that was the best they had to offer at the time.

3 months later = 3x the range for 30% more $$.

I GOT RIPPED OFF!

• Lia 27 October 2021, 23:10 UTC

I imagine the OG Pint's won't get PintX parts when serviced, they'd likely keep them separate. Presumably they made enough changes to them to make them somewhat more distinct. Odd the OG Pint went up in price although maybe @HorsePlay is onto something, if true that's pretty cool of FM if not incredibly sneaky.

Curiously since the GT appears to be a 18s2p pack I wonder if the PintX is 18s1p or if they kept it like the prior model at 15s1p. Since nobody outside of the select few in the announcement have them yet I don't think we'll know the specifics till then.

I'll agree with @NotSure in that it maybe wasn't the best move to just drop this without warning since it's caught so many off guard who just bought new boards. The live chat was brimming with "I just got my board X days ago" which had my heart sink a little for them. At least if only the PintX was shown with a tease at the GT existing it may have kept at least new XR owners content.

That said I'm happy to see new boards. With all the talk of scooters, parallels drawn to Boosted and a new HW revision for the XR (4213) I was starting to lose hope a new board was coming. Even better yet, since the DIY community seems to crank the boards if we can get through whatever lockdowns are present battery side I can see the 32mile range on the GT getting increased :D

• Franko @HorsePlay 27 October 2021, 23:25 UTC

@HorsePlay said in Onewheel New Models!:

Did the Pint (original) see a price increase? Wasn't it famously $950 before?

yeah, it did. popular thought on reddit is that the price increase is tied to inflation in general and the scarcity of electronic chips and parts specifically, which makes sense to me. hey, my OG Pint has increased slightly in value, i'm ok with that, lol

• NotSure @Lia 27 October 2021, 23:53 UTC

I imagine the OG Pint's won't get PintX parts when serviced, they'd likely keep them separate. Presumably they made enough changes to them to make them somewhat more distinct

yeah i suspected already. the rails give it away.

• NotSure @Lia 28 October 2021, 00:13 UTC

I was starting to lose hope a new board was coming.

i imagine stuff like this will only chase talent towards that vesc project, not away from it. I contacted them on their new support page. They want my serial number. I have sidekicks. Rage... rage is the word. luckily i used oem guards on my pint, so I gave them the pint sn lol, claimed it was support ticket, and just let em have it! If tone matters, it might be a bit stern, if not agitated. I explained to them the issue nonetheless, as well as my own vague expectations of them. Customer service can be an awfully difficult job.

• Swinefeaster 28 October 2021, 04:56 UTC

thinking some more about this. i'm excited about the new gt, especially the new voltage that it has. jw replied to how the jwxr tracks compared to the gt - "Pretty close to the GT, but the GT probably tracks a little better because it's higher voltage."

however, it'll be a while before all my fav aftermarket shit catches up to be available on the gt. so i'm quite happy with my xr for another year or so.

• OneDan+ @Lia 28 October 2021, 06:17 UTC

Currently pondering if I can stomach a new board plus the $200 shipping and £450 customs charge lol

I'd lol, but I shouldn't as I'm ~2 hours away from FM. ;)

• Lia @OneDan+ 28 October 2021, 09:20 UTC

@OneDan Oh nice, you ever cruised by their HQ before?

Bit the bullet and ordered mine. My XR is in dire need of a new battery, new tyre and probably a fresh hub since... well I bet there's a nice few coats of rust in there with crippled bearings to match lol.

I went with just the white rail guards and a treaded tyre since both are things I'll want and know won't exist as 3rd party accessories anytime soon especially with the tyre being 6.5". What did you get with yours?

• S
    Senior Coffee @Lia 28 October 2021, 11:11 UTC

@Lia

Soooo here's the deal. I just have to say that FM pulled a very savvy business move. At $2200 with it's advertised range, it's more economical to buy a GT than to upgrade an XR with a bigger battery pack. Same scenario with the Pint X. Along with that FM offers a treaded tire. If I was an aftermarket OW battery supplier I think I'd be nervous right now.

For me the GT and Pint X are the products that fit me to a tee although I won't buy them. Timing is everything. I just finished upgrading my XR to a bigger battery pack. Well played FM.

FM completely avoided the Osbourne Effect. You'll have to look it up on Wikipedia for a detailed definition. Basically it states that announcing the future launch of a new product can and does affect sales of existing products. By not saying anything, FM avoided this effect as evidenced by the number of people including myself that spent money on Onewheel products up to the day of launch. They kept making $$ up to the last minute. Once again, well played FM.

• S
    Senior Coffee @Lia 28 October 2021, 11:49 UTC

I imagine the OG Pint's won't get PintX parts when serviced, they'd likely keep them separate. Presumably they made enough changes to them to make them somewhat more distinct. Odd the OG Pint went up in price although maybe @HorsePlay is onto something, if true that's pretty cool of FM if not incredibly sneaky.

Curiously since the GT appears to be a 18s2p pack I wonder if the PintX is 18s1p or if they kept it like the prior model at 15s1p. Since nobody outside of the select few in the announcement have them yet I don't think we'll know the specifics till then.

I'll agree with @NotSure in that it maybe wasn't the best move to just drop this without warning since it's caught so many off guard who just bought new boards. The live chat was brimming with "I just got my board X days ago" which had my heart sink a little for them. At least if only the PintX was shown with a tease at the GT existing it may have kept at least new XR owners content.

That said I'm happy to see new boards. With all the talk of scooters, parallels drawn to Boosted and a new HW revision for the XR (4213) I was starting to lose hope a new board was coming. Even better yet, since the DIY community seems to crank the boards if we can get through whatever lockdowns are present battery side I can see the 32mile range on the GT getting increased :D

I think the price increase on the OG Pint is any effort to generate more sales of Pint X. For just $350 more you can double your range and increase your speed a little. I also see them dropping both Pint and XR in approx. 1 year.

By not announcing the new products they avoided the "Osbourne Effect". Good info is available on Wikipedia. This company has become well versed on making money and business strategies.

• Lia @Senior Coffee 28 October 2021, 12:18 UTC

@Senior-Coffee I'm not hugely familiar with the business side of things so I'll take your word for it. Looked up "Osbourne Effect" and it makes sense, I can see why they'd want to avoid it but it really screws the consumers in this case by doing what they did like you said. I really hoped they'd made more of an effort to give us a heads up. A teaser or something a few weeks/months ahead of launch would have been nice.

If it'd been any longer I was on the cusp of buying some WTF rails, treaded tyre, kush pads and some new cells to replace my degraded ones. My hesitancy; not through any rational wisdom saved me a bit of cash.

• b0ardski 28 October 2021, 12:57 UTC

I want to know more about the app and digital shaping. If the GT has cpt morgan pushback I refuse to own it. Extreme push back is the only reason my 2yr old sage pint only has 360mi on it. Every time I ride the pint cpt morgan PISSES ME THE FUCK OFF!!
    The new 6.5in rim means no aftermarket tires, fucking bastards.

• NotSure @Senior Coffee 28 October 2021, 12:57 UTC

@Senior-Coffee they destroyed the used onewheel market at the expense of brand loyalty. I don't think they did anything but burn good will of those whom literally just missed out. statistically a proportion of those customers would feel spurned. their calculus was over simplified imo. greedy algorithms are nothing if not predictable. i think this shows how young the company really is. they managed to alienate so many of their prior customers. i was puzzled at first by that. the venom on social media... but i contacted them to let them know i was upset after buying two now obsolete onewheel models, one of them just 90 days ago. They basically said nice knowing me... yeah.

all they had to do was offer me a coupon. a gift bag. a sticker lol... nope. craft & ride would have def offered me stickers. @Future-Motion is seeming kinda shifty for a supposedly 'chill' west coast board sport company. Rep tells me my two boards were still a great value. if he wants to buy both mine full price, then i'll feel the same way, i'll be here all day lol. should i hold my breath?

i dunno. im a science guy at heart. if they don't think their debut had a strong chilling effect, consider me now, and me 48 hrs ago. cause n effect. i leave it to the forum to decide. word of mouth marketing where the company doesn't care about your mouth. well... i don't care if anyone else onewheels as much as they do. whoops. there goes their calculus. i just told my cousin to wait on his. new gtx next year will have suspension and twice the range at half the price.

They might be spending dollars trying to save dimes.

• b0ardski @NotSure 28 October 2021, 13:08 UTC

@NotSure I do think modable XRs will still be in demand though no longer fetching retail prices, it's gonna take a while for 3rd party accessories to come along, I wonder if the GT fender covers the batt case like pint. Not hard to improve xr waterproofing

• jeff8v7 28 October 2021, 13:39 UTC

Cool! Just ordered a GT. Not excited about the weight, but everything else looks great!

• jeff8v7 28 October 2021, 13:39 UTC

Cool! Just ordered a GT. Not excited about the weight, but everything else looks great!

Now... what to do with my other OW, OW+, OW+XR :-)

• HorsePlay @Senior Coffee 28 October 2021, 14:16 UTC

@Senior-Coffee said in Onewheel New Models!:

FM completely avoided the Osbourne Effect. You'll have to look it up on Wikipedia for a detailed definition.

LOL! I didn't have to look it up. I knew immediately it was a reference to Osborne Computers! I was working for a dealer in 1983, when they BK'd. Personally, I favored Kaypro at that time.

• Post(s) 42-75 are missing from the archive :(
    Know where these posts are? Visit the new forum for how to help get them added :)
  • Swinefeaster 30 October 2021, 08:24 UTC

Hmmm well I'm really curious how the new voltage and 3hp feels on the gt

• jeff8v7 @NotSure 1 November 2021, 14:23 UTC

Now... what to do with my other OW, OW+, OW+XR :-)

did u purchase all yours in that past 10 months like i did?

If you want to get the longest life before upgrades, buy the new boards the day they come out. That’s my strategy, and I always look forward to an upgrade. If I wanted to save money, I’d walk :-)

• NotSure @jeff8v7 1 November 2021, 17:04 UTC

@jeff8v7 lol if only i were so malleable.

• NotSure 1 November 2021, 19:01 UTC

So for any whom are actually interested: I replied to the individual whom claimed to be the "Director of Customer Service" and literally informed how to implement a modern crm strategy, complete with loyalty program. I did receive a response thanking me for the recommendation with a commitment to research and present the concept bc "if there are ways to improve our business it makes sense for us to explore those avenues." Possibly just lip service. Mentioned I'm looking for real estate in santa cruz for the winter lol.

• Lia 5 November 2021, 20:24 UTC

Friendo's, trying to decide on a future style for the GT when it arrives, been at this for a few days now >.>

Mocked some up in PS, personally really liking Mulberry but wondered what you all thought. Any other colour palettes or styles you think would look good?
    Onewheel GT Designs.png

• HorsePlay 5 November 2021, 21:57 UTC

Love your skills!

My favorites, from your mock-ups are: Mulberry, Fade Blue and Slushy (Edit).
    I love seeing the color fades on the border! Well done!

• Lia @HorsePlay 5 November 2021, 22:21 UTC

@HorsePlay Thanks :)
    Glad you liked those, mulberry is so far my fave.

Have a jarred mulberry candle that had soot at the top and a small amount of way at the bottom that I thought looked cool as a gradient.

Borders of the pads made sense, tried without but because the board is so thick it looked a bit odd. Going to be interesting to paint D:

• H
    HanahsDax @Lia 6 November 2021, 01:23 UTC

@Lia Leaning towards Slushy (edit) since it will complement the OG Slushy but also digging the Mulberry.

• blkwalnutgrwr @Lia 6 November 2021, 01:35 UTC

@Lia -- Mulberry. It's a new board with its own feel, not an echo of the previous.

• Lia 6 November 2021, 01:54 UTC

@HanahsDax It's so tempting, I really like the colour blend Slush has but I have a gut feeling telling me to keep that style for the XR even with the design being subtle with the distinct edit.

@blkwalnutgrwr Pretty much how I felt, new board, new look. All depends on how it rides as it may inspire an entirely different vibe.

XR was named after the rails guards reminded me of a mixed flavour slush puppy, Pint was named then designed based on it being reborn so maybe the feel of the GT gives me a name to inspire a design this time.